This lesson focuses on case briefing. The lesson will guide students through cases identifying the most important part of cases to prepare for classes.
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. Identify different parts of a case brief.
2. Categorize different parts of a judicial opinion into a case brief.
3. Restate the legally significant facts from a case.
4. Restate the legal rules in a case.
5. Identify or construct the holding of the opinion.
Steven Foster is the Director of Academic Achievement and Instructor of Law at Oklahoma City University School of Law. After graduating in 2008, Professor Foster joined Oklahoma City University to help students improve performance in law school and on the bar exam. He has given numerous national and regional presentations on academic support along with being the primary editor for the Academic Support Blog on the Law Professor’s Blog Network.Director of Academic Achievement and Instructor of LawOklahoma City University School of Law